Optics are used in a variety of applications in the field of medical technology. Some of these applications are in the field of endoscopy, in which flexible or rigid optical instruments are used to examine the inside of the body. Optical systems are also used in imaging technology such as dental scanners in order to create detailed images of the oral cavity.
The demand for better image quality and smaller optical systems is constantly increasing, especially when available space is tight. Our optics are used in the following applications, among others, in the field of medical technology:
- Dental cameras
In the medical field, various different types of endoscopes are used depending on the application and purpose of the examination. Some types of endoscopes:
- Flexible endoscope: This type of endoscope consists of a flexible hose with a light source and a camera in the end and is used in gastroenterology, among other disciplines.
- Rigid endoscope: In contrast to a flexible endoscope, this type of endoscope has a rigid shaft.
- Laparoscope: This type of endoscope is used in minimally-invasive surgery and enables examination and execution of procedures in the abdominal cavity through small incisions.
- Arthroscope: This type of endoscope is used in orthopedics in order to examine and perform minimally-invasive procedures on joints such as knees, shoulders and hips.
- Bronchoscope: This type of endoscope is used for examining the airways and lungs.
Micro-optics are used in dental cameras to capture high-resolution images of the oral cavity. Thanks to micro-optics, dental cameras can be small yet capable of capturing clear and detailed 2D and 3D image data.
Telemedicine devices enable patients to capture high-resolution images of their illnesses and transmit them directly to the doctor or specialist. Micro-optics play an important role in telemedicine in the capture and transmission of high-quality medical images used to enable remote treatment and diagnosis. Here are a few of the disciplines in which they are used:
- Tele-otoscopy: for the medical examination of the ears or the external auditory canal and the eardrum
- Tele-dermatology: for the detection of skin lesions or skin diseases
- Tele-ophthalmology: for capturing detailed images of the fundus of the eye in ophthalmology
- Tele-endoscopy: for medical examination of the airways or other body cavities